Who we are
Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing Ltd. (ROAM) is a Not-for Profit Registered Canadian Charity (registered charity number #778847699RR001) established to assist owners in finding their lost or missing pets. ROAM is run entirely by volunteers with 100% of monetary donations going to the animals. ROAM will operate without any financial gain for its members. The main purpose is to Promote the Welfare of Animals which is beneficial to the community in a way the law regards as charitable. This organization provides the following services in support of that mandate:
- To rescue/assist in finding stray, abandoned, abused, or surrendered animals by:
- Providing contact numbers to reports of stray or injured animals
- Searching for, capturing or reporting lost, stray, abandoned, abused or surrendered animals
- Working with other organizations for the welfare of any animals requiring assistance (such as animal rescue, SPCA, CRD, Victoria Animal Control, etc.)
- Working with other search organizations in the best interest of helping to reunite animals with their owners.
- Provides a forum that allows owners to communicate their pet(s) are missing
- Provides a forum that allows finders to communicate when an animal is found or captured
- Provides a forum that allows a spotter to communicate that an animal is loose and/or roaming
- Providing financial assistance and support when and where appropriate (on a case by case basis) in the event an animal requires urgent veterinary care and the owner is financially unable to come up with the required funds
- Promote education and awareness to pet owners on specific topics but not limited to:
- Benefits of spaying or neutering domestic pets to best ensure that they won’t wander
- Registration and identification of domestic pets
- Prevention of lost, missing or roaming animals through the proper and secure handling
- Extra precautionary measures in handling newly fostered or adopted dogs and cats
Funding and Donation Sources
ROAM receives its funding from a variety of sources which includes but not limited to:
- Donations from the general public
- Donations of gifts in kind
- Funds through different activities such as bottle drives, car washes and other initiatives
Any profits or other assets of ROAM will be used entirely to meet its objectives.
Code of Conduct
ROAM expects the Board of Directors, Management Team as well as the many volunteers to act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Confidentiality – We are committed to maintaining the highest degree of integrity in all our dealings with our clients and partners, keeping client information confidential when appropriate.
- Ethics – We conduct and provide services honestly and expect our clients and partners to do the same.
- Legal / Duty of Care – Our actions and advice will always operate and conform to the law.
- Professional conduct – We conduct all of our activities professionally and with integrity.
We take great care to be completely objective in our judgement and any recommendations we give are never influenced by anything other than the best interests of the animal.
- Equality and Discrimination – We strive to be fair and objective in our advice and actions, and we are never influenced in our decisions and actions by issues of gender, race, creed, colour, age or personal disability.
ROAM was our rock during the 98-day stretch our dog Olive was out on her own. The amount of effort the volunteers put in to her homecoming was absolutely amazing! They helped canvas neighborhoods, drove around at all hours, postered endlessly, organized a search party, set up feed stations equipped with cameras and delicious meats, watched live traps that had been customized with her fear of metal in mind, and constantly offered us their support and encouragement. Terry even flew to Arizona to pick up the remote-operated drop net used to capture her! At that time, Olive was regularly going to a feed station situated along a busy roadway. We were all concerned that her luck might run out with so much nearby traffic and the potential time lost with shipping was what prompted Terry’s flight. It really is impossible to put in to words everything ROAM did for us. Olive did not make capture an easy task! She moved neighborhoods frequently (View Royal, Colwood, Sidney, & Brentwood Bay), ran from any approach, and refused to go in to any trap as she had been trapped in the past. No matter how hopeless things felt at times, giving up was not an option considered by us or ROAM. We are so thankful that such a dedicated and positive group of people exists and were able to resolve this difficult case. It is an absolute pleasure to have our wild “little monkey” home again. Thank you Terry, Barb, Lesli, Rachel, Cyndi, Linda, Barry, Darlene…and all of the rest of the ROAM volunteers! You guys are the best.
What amazing people/service 🙂 Alan is my brothers dog- i had let him out this afternoon 2pm with out his collar:(- he slipped into the park and was gone- i was searching for hours for him before my brother got home – he arrived home and i broke him the news- its the worst feeling-we had paused our searched efforts in hopes he would find his way back- he was too lost -we made some calls and got in touch with roam- these people were on the scene within an hour -they were everywhere searching for hours- they kept in contact with me the whole time- and were relentless with there search – they had Alan back by 7pm before dark- what an amazing feeling- i owe roam bigtime – if you ever lose your pet – you need these people on your side- unreal service- thank you soo much!!!!!!
You guys are amazing and I’m so happy that we could find Fletcher within 1 day!! Your system seems to work awesome and I am so thankful.
Our heartfelt thanks to your amazing team! We just can not express the true feelings of support and positivity you provided while being so organized, and amazingly effective! And thanks to Joe at Fort Victoria for keeping him safe overnight. We are forever greatful you were there for us and Cooper.
When our little Sunny went missing we were advised to immediately contact ROAMBC through their website. They replied immediately and gave us critical steps to follow to get information out into our new neighbourhood. Within 30 minutes they were on site supporting our search. Over the next five hours 15 ROAM volunteers combed the area and provided emotional support to keep us positive. Terry and Barb have a thorough understanding of canine behaviour and educated us while keeping us calm. As they had predicted, Sunny found her way home as it became dark. The volunteers kept in constant contact and were following her. Words cannot express the gratitude we feel to the amazing ROAMBC team. You have provided us with your time and support at critical hours. Your kindness will never be forgotten and you are an inspiration of what volunteerism is all about. Thank you, thank you!!
Words cannot express how grateful I am, you guys are absolutely amazing! Thank you thank you thank you! Saban is safe and sound and I couldn’t be more relieved.
We can thank ROAM enough to bringing Shiloh home tonight…..they were so helpful and even figured that someone likely picked her up(and thankful to the people who picked up Shiloh)….which was exactly what happened and kept in contact with me to keep me up to date with exactly what was going on….so wonderful to know there is groups out here to help bring animals home I know without their help we would not have Shiloh home with us tonight…forever grateful HUGE thank you ROAM from us and Shiloh
Our sweet little girl was brought home to us last night thanks in no small part to the folks at ROAM. We were put in touch with Terry by Lesley at Helping Paws Okanagan to help us bring home our missing dog and he was nothing short of exceptional – he was available anytime day or night, answered all our questions, laid out a clear plan that was way to follow, and spoke with a certainty and a confidence that was so reassuring. He kept us calm and focused on what we needed to do to get her back. What you do and the knowledge you have is truly a gift to animal lovers everywhere! Thank you so much Terry and ROAM – we could not have done it without you!
All the way from Parliament Hill, in our Nations Capital, I want to say, thank you to ROAM for your volunteers, and for all they do for others helping find our loved, 4 legged fury kids. Your kindness and care for our missing pets is more than appreciated. Thank you for “being there” for us and Cholo..who is now, home safe and sound, in his Mama’s arms. Words can not thank you enough. Thank you…over and over again.
I am so thankful for this organization :). I called them after Lacie was missing on our walk for 20 minutes, I called, whistled and retraced my steps but she was no where to be seen. Thank you to the lovely couple who found her and called ROAM.