Who we are
Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing Ltd. (ROAM) is a Not-for Profit Registered Canadian Charity established to assist owners in finding their lost or missing pets. ROAM is run entirely by volunteers with 100% of monetary donations going to the animals. ROAM will operate without any financial gain for its members. The main purpose is to Promote the Welfare of Animals which is beneficial to the community in a way the law regards as charitable. This organization provides the following services in support of that mandate:
- To rescue/assist in finding stray, abandoned, abused, or surrendered animals by:
- Providing contact numbers to reports of stray or injured animals
- Searching for, capturing or reporting lost, stray, abandoned, abused or surrendered animals
- Working with other organizations for the welfare of any animals requiring assistance (such as animal rescue, SPCA, CRD, Victoria Animal Control, etc.)
- Working with other search organizations in the best interest of helping to reunite animals with their owners.
- Provides a forum that allows owners to communicate their pet(s) are missing
- Provides a forum that allows finders to communicate when an animal is found or captured
- Provides a forum that allows a spotter to communicate that an animal is loose and/or roaming
- Providing financial assistance and support when and where appropriate (on a case by case basis) in the event an animal requires urgent veterinary care and the owner is financially unable to come up with the required funds
- Promote education and awareness to pet owners on specific topics but not limited to:
- Benefits of spaying or neutering domestic pets to best ensure that they won’t wander
- Registration and identification of domestic pets
- Prevention of lost, missing or roaming animals through the proper and secure handling
- Extra precautionary measures in handling newly fostered or adopted dogs and cats
Funding and Donation Sources
ROAM receives its funding from a variety of sources which includes but not limited to:
- Donations from the general public
- Donations of gifts in kind
- Funds through different activities such as bottle drives, car washes and other initiatives
Any profits or other assets of ROAM will be used entirely to meet its objectives.
Code of Conduct
ROAM expects the Board of Directors, Management Team as well as the many volunteers to act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Confidentiality – We are committed to maintaining the highest degree of integrity in all our dealings with our clients and partners, keeping client information confidential when appropriate.
- Ethics – We conduct and provide services honestly and expect our clients and partners to do the same.
- Legal / Duty of Care – Our actions and advice will always operate and conform to the law.
- Professional conduct – We conduct all of our activities professionally and with integrity.
We take great care to be completely objective in our judgement and any recommendations we give are never influenced by anything other than the best interests of the animal.
- Equality and Discrimination – We strive to be fair and objective in our advice and actions, and we are never influenced in our decisions and actions by issues of gender, race, creed, colour, age or personal disability.
Ryder is safe and at home with us. Thank you to Terry and Rachel and all of the ROAM volunteers who contributed to the safe return of our dog. We had several sightings early this morning following the route I took while looking for him today. We found him at Ash and Edgemont and with Terry’s exceptional guidance were able to reunite with our boy. We cannot say thank you enough to all who helped and sent messages of support. ROAM as an organization was outstanding start to finish. We could not have done this without ROAM. I cannot praise them highly enough. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! 💕💕💕🐶
Ricky has been FOUND!! Thank you so much to Barb, Terry, and everyone else who helped us last night and this morning! We can’t thank you enough! We’re so grateful that Ricky is home safe and sound. We will be ROAM volunteers from here on out. Thanks again!
On behalf of Queenie, all the local volunteers and the Puerto Vallarta SPCA (PVCA) we want to express our sincere gratitude for Terry of ROAM for his assistance. As you know Queenie arrived in Canada and was lost very shortly afterward, in the North Vancouver winter. She didn’t know where she was, and wasn’t used to the winter. As a rescue from Mexico, we relied on a group of random volunteers that came together, as well as a PVCA rescuer that flew up from Mexico. Within a very short time, you dropped everything to come to Vancouver despite the distance, with your equipment, your guidance, and your dedication. And even after leaving you were with us supporting remotely. Your contribution and your dedication to this dog and this group of strangers gives me great faith in humanity. We are grateful beyond words.
This is a very sincere thank you to ROAM for the excellent and immediate response I received when I contacted Lesli to report that my cat Mugsy was missing. After my week of fruitless searching, Lesli, through her contacts, already had a picture of Mugsy on the ROAM web site and I was able to focus my search where he was last sighted. Getting him back that night was wonderful. Thanks again to ROAM and everyone who contributed to his return with their words of encouragement.
A huge thank you goes out to this organization, the people behind it, and the compassionate service they provide. I am beyond grateful. When my little dog Ruby was scared off running by a hang glider that appeared over some trees in an off leash park, I was completely distraught when I couldn’t catch her and then eventually lost sight of her. I am new to Victoria and didn’t know anyone to help me so after calling animal control I continued to search. Then I remembered hearing about this organization Roam and gave them a call. I was crying and not sure if they could understand me, but they took the time to get the information and post immediately on the website with Ruby’s picture. Within another hour I had Ruby safely back in my arms. It was through this organization that we found each other again so quickly. We don’t tend to think about these things happening and I’m quite sure I never want to experience that terrifying feeling again. But it is nice to know this service is available for pet owners and I can testify that it works! The compassion and calm of Barb on the other end of the phone and the follow up happy texts went above and beyond any of my expectations. Once again, beyond grateful.
We are so thankful for ROAM stepping in to help us find Hazel! We were in Toronto when we discovered our 10 lb rescue had spooked at a dog park & escaped, running for her life. The ROAM team deployed at our panicked request and stayed out in the wind & rain until late in the evening as they co-ordinated a search with our family, friends & community. Fortunately, and with great thanks to ROAM’s knowledge of how to handle scared dogs, Hazel only had to spend one night out in the cold. She was found safe the next day! Thank you ROAM for volunteering your time and energy to find our much-loved family member.
I am so thankful for this organization :). I called them after Lacie was missing on our walk for 20 minutes, I called, whistled and retraced my steps but she was no where to be seen. Thank you to the lovely couple who found her and called ROAM.
There is no better feeling to have your dogs returned no worse than wear after fearing the worse. ROAM just happened along at the exact time the dogs needed protection from heavy traffic. You were the angels I prayed for…talk about the stars lining up! Thank you, thank you, thank you. There are no words to express my happiness to have my fur babies safely home and curled up in my lap sleeping off their adventure. We are closely inspecting our fencing to find the breech and have contracted a company to cross fence our back yard to keep our “Adventuress and Houdini” out of our natural area and away from bunny trails…their world will be downsized so hopefully, we’ll not go through this again. Barb and Terry you have hearts of gold and are doing such important work. May your lives be blessed for all you do…
When our cat Harry disappeared, we were referred to ROAM.BC (amongst others) by our vet and found their quick response & organization incredible; from offering a ready-to-print poster and tips on how to help logically coax your animal home (when emotions flood in) and separate personal support emails, we felt the fortification of much encouragement! We had no idea there was such a service! Thankfully he arrived home on his own and ROAMBC’s closure was one of kind elation! A huge huge thank you for your readiness and help! – Faye
When our little Sunny went missing we were advised to immediately contact ROAMBC through their website. They replied immediately and gave us critical steps to follow to get information out into our new neighbourhood. Within 30 minutes they were on site supporting our search. Over the next five hours 15 ROAM volunteers combed the area and provided emotional support to keep us positive. Terry and Barb have a thorough understanding of canine behaviour and educated us while keeping us calm. As they had predicted, Sunny found her way home as it became dark. The volunteers kept in constant contact and were following her. Words cannot express the gratitude we feel to the amazing ROAMBC team. You have provided us with your time and support at critical hours. Your kindness will never be forgotten and you are an inspiration of what volunteerism is all about. Thank you, thank you!!