Who we are
Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing Ltd. (ROAM) is a Not-for Profit Registered Canadian Charity (registered charity number #778847699RR001) established to assist owners in finding their lost or missing pets. ROAM is run entirely by volunteers with 100% of monetary donations going to the animals. ROAM will operate without any financial gain for its members. The main purpose is to Promote the Welfare of Animals which is beneficial to the community in a way the law regards as charitable. This organization provides the following services in support of that mandate:
- To rescue/assist in finding stray, abandoned, abused, or surrendered animals by:
- Providing contact numbers to reports of stray or injured animals
- Searching for, capturing or reporting lost, stray, abandoned, abused or surrendered animals
- Working with other organizations for the welfare of any animals requiring assistance (such as animal rescue, SPCA, CRD, Victoria Animal Control, etc.)
- Working with other search organizations in the best interest of helping to reunite animals with their owners.
- Provides a forum that allows owners to communicate their pet(s) are missing
- Provides a forum that allows finders to communicate when an animal is found or captured
- Provides a forum that allows a spotter to communicate that an animal is loose and/or roaming
- Providing financial assistance and support when and where appropriate (on a case by case basis) in the event an animal requires urgent veterinary care and the owner is financially unable to come up with the required funds
- Promote education and awareness to pet owners on specific topics but not limited to:
- Benefits of spaying or neutering domestic pets to best ensure that they won’t wander
- Registration and identification of domestic pets
- Prevention of lost, missing or roaming animals through the proper and secure handling
- Extra precautionary measures in handling newly fostered or adopted dogs and cats
Funding and Donation Sources
ROAM receives its funding from a variety of sources which includes but not limited to:
- Donations from the general public
- Donations of gifts in kind
- Funds through different activities such as bottle drives, car washes and other initiatives
Any profits or other assets of ROAM will be used entirely to meet its objectives.
Code of Conduct
ROAM expects the Board of Directors, Management Team as well as the many volunteers to act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Confidentiality – We are committed to maintaining the highest degree of integrity in all our dealings with our clients and partners, keeping client information confidential when appropriate.
- Ethics – We conduct and provide services honestly and expect our clients and partners to do the same.
- Legal / Duty of Care – Our actions and advice will always operate and conform to the law.
- Professional conduct – We conduct all of our activities professionally and with integrity.
We take great care to be completely objective in our judgement and any recommendations we give are never influenced by anything other than the best interests of the animal.
- Equality and Discrimination – We strive to be fair and objective in our advice and actions, and we are never influenced in our decisions and actions by issues of gender, race, creed, colour, age or personal disability.
My name is David, I lost my best friend Griffin this morning after searching and losing all hope I phoned the pound, police, fled search and to my amazement ROAM – Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing was at my door within 15 minutes with boots on the ground, after a quick detailed conversation about habits and characteristics of my best buddy griffin they went to work. After approximately 90 mins I started getting very depressed once more and then the phone rang Rachel had found my dog and brought him back immediately. My depression turned into inspiration from the people that had volunteered out of the goodness of their Hearts and I instantly need to repay them some how. When I asked what could I do to feel like I’ve contributed to ROAM she told me that a comment would be nice so here I am with a comment and I’m not sure I could ever put into words how I feel so I am going to volunteer once a month with ROAM to make this world a better place. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to “Rachel Terry Barb Leslie and all the other and volunteers I didn’t meet, u r the light at the end of my tunnel God bless griffin and I will never forget what u did for us and asked for nothing in return but simple😊 comment.
Thanks to Terry and co. for working with Good Samaritan (Dan) to help capture and return Smokey, our very sly and speedy sled-dog. Even more importantly, thank you for understanding our plight and helping to educate and encourage us rather than chastising us or suggesting that we give up on our dog. We adopted Smokey knowing that she has serious issues to work through, but we did so because she is an excellent physical and emotional companion for our son, who has also had a very difficult time making it through elementary and middle-school with his self-esteem intact. In giving Smokey what she needs, we are also providing our son with the motivation and example he desperately needs to take good care of both his dog and himself.
A huge thank you goes out to this organization, the people behind it, and the compassionate service they provide. I am beyond grateful. When my little dog Ruby was scared off running by a hang glider that appeared over some trees in an off leash park, I was completely distraught when I couldn’t catch her and then eventually lost sight of her. I am new to Victoria and didn’t know anyone to help me so after calling animal control I continued to search. Then I remembered hearing about this organization Roam and gave them a call. I was crying and not sure if they could understand me, but they took the time to get the information and post immediately on the website with Ruby’s picture. Within another hour I had Ruby safely back in my arms. It was through this organization that we found each other again so quickly. We don’t tend to think about these things happening and I’m quite sure I never want to experience that terrifying feeling again. But it is nice to know this service is available for pet owners and I can testify that it works! The compassion and calm of Barb on the other end of the phone and the follow up happy texts went above and beyond any of my expectations. Once again, beyond grateful.
What amazing people/service 🙂 Alan is my brothers dog- i had let him out this afternoon 2pm with out his collar:(- he slipped into the park and was gone- i was searching for hours for him before my brother got home – he arrived home and i broke him the news- its the worst feeling-we had paused our searched efforts in hopes he would find his way back- he was too lost -we made some calls and got in touch with roam- these people were on the scene within an hour -they were everywhere searching for hours- they kept in contact with me the whole time- and were relentless with there search – they had Alan back by 7pm before dark- what an amazing feeling- i owe roam bigtime – if you ever lose your pet – you need these people on your side- unreal service- thank you soo much!!!!!!
All the way from Parliament Hill, in our Nations Capital, I want to say, thank you to ROAM for your volunteers, and for all they do for others helping find our loved, 4 legged fury kids. Your kindness and care for our missing pets is more than appreciated. Thank you for “being there” for us and Cholo..who is now, home safe and sound, in his Mama’s arms. Words can not thank you enough. Thank you…over and over again.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the people you have helped and supported. Operating a service available at no cost to animal owners at a time of need and hearing about your contribution from a fellow dog owner. You are well appreciated, have been successful in your mantra and are COMPLETELY APPRECIATED BY THE LIVES YOU TOUCH AND THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE TO HAVE YOU AVAILABLE IF NEED BE. THANK YOU FOR DEMONSTRATING THE GOOD AND GREATER GOOD IN YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COMMUNITY. MORE THAN 5 STARS AND A STANDING OVATION, KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING. Holly B
I just want to say thank you so much to the Lesli, Roam team, the couple who found him and everyone who helped. Frankie is such a sweet boy, and is loved by all of us at the Rescue. It is so great to have the support of Roam and the community when something like this happens. Frankie is a tired little boy and is resting after his big adventure today!!
There is no better feeling to have your dogs returned no worse than wear after fearing the worse. ROAM just happened along at the exact time the dogs needed protection from heavy traffic. You were the angels I prayed for…talk about the stars lining up! Thank you, thank you, thank you. There are no words to express my happiness to have my fur babies safely home and curled up in my lap sleeping off their adventure. We are closely inspecting our fencing to find the breech and have contracted a company to cross fence our back yard to keep our “Adventuress and Houdini” out of our natural area and away from bunny trails…their world will be downsized so hopefully, we’ll not go through this again. Barb and Terry you have hearts of gold and are doing such important work. May your lives be blessed for all you do…
Our heartfelt thanks to your amazing team! We just can not express the true feelings of support and positivity you provided while being so organized, and amazingly effective! And thanks to Joe at Fort Victoria for keeping him safe overnight. We are forever greatful you were there for us and Cooper.
Words can’t even describe how grateful I am to have had the help from ROAM in finding our beloved family dog. Terry and Barb gave us the tools and emotional support that was much needed in the non stop search. They checked in with us constantly, had the patience to answer and re-answer our many questions and inspired us to make the right choices ( all the time respecting my decisions) which in the end led us to a happy and very relieving reunion! Thank you so much guys!! 🙂