Who we are
Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing Ltd. (ROAM) is a Not-for Profit Registered Canadian Charity established to assist owners in finding their lost or missing pets. ROAM is run entirely by volunteers with 100% of monetary donations going to the animals. ROAM will operate without any financial gain for its members. The main purpose is to Promote the Welfare of Animals which is beneficial to the community in a way the law regards as charitable. This organization provides the following services in support of that mandate:
- To rescue/assist in finding stray, abandoned, abused, or surrendered animals by:
- Providing contact numbers to reports of stray or injured animals
- Searching for, capturing or reporting lost, stray, abandoned, abused or surrendered animals
- Working with other organizations for the welfare of any animals requiring assistance (such as animal rescue, SPCA, CRD, Victoria Animal Control, etc.)
- Working with other search organizations in the best interest of helping to reunite animals with their owners.
- Provides a forum that allows owners to communicate their pet(s) are missing
- Provides a forum that allows finders to communicate when an animal is found or captured
- Provides a forum that allows a spotter to communicate that an animal is loose and/or roaming
- Providing financial assistance and support when and where appropriate (on a case by case basis) in the event an animal requires urgent veterinary care and the owner is financially unable to come up with the required funds
- Promote education and awareness to pet owners on specific topics but not limited to:
- Benefits of spaying or neutering domestic pets to best ensure that they won’t wander
- Registration and identification of domestic pets
- Prevention of lost, missing or roaming animals through the proper and secure handling
- Extra precautionary measures in handling newly fostered or adopted dogs and cats
Funding and Donation Sources
ROAM receives its funding from a variety of sources which includes but not limited to:
- Donations from the general public
- Donations of gifts in kind
- Funds through different activities such as bottle drives, car washes and other initiatives
Any profits or other assets of ROAM will be used entirely to meet its objectives.
Code of Conduct
ROAM expects the Board of Directors, Management Team as well as the many volunteers to act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Confidentiality – We are committed to maintaining the highest degree of integrity in all our dealings with our clients and partners, keeping client information confidential when appropriate.
- Ethics – We conduct and provide services honestly and expect our clients and partners to do the same.
- Legal / Duty of Care – Our actions and advice will always operate and conform to the law.
- Professional conduct – We conduct all of our activities professionally and with integrity.
We take great care to be completely objective in our judgement and any recommendations we give are never influenced by anything other than the best interests of the animal.
- Equality and Discrimination – We strive to be fair and objective in our advice and actions, and we are never influenced in our decisions and actions by issues of gender, race, creed, colour, age or personal disability.
Our heartfelt thanks to your amazing team! We just can not express the true feelings of support and positivity you provided while being so organized, and amazingly effective! And thanks to Joe at Fort Victoria for keeping him safe overnight. We are forever greatful you were there for us and Cooper.
We can thank ROAM enough to bringing Shiloh home tonight…..they were so helpful and even figured that someone likely picked her up(and thankful to the people who picked up Shiloh)….which was exactly what happened and kept in contact with me to keep me up to date with exactly what was going on….so wonderful to know there is groups out here to help bring animals home I know without their help we would not have Shiloh home with us tonight…forever grateful HUGE thank you ROAM from us and Shiloh
I just want to say thank you so much to the Lesli, Roam team, the couple who found him and everyone who helped. Frankie is such a sweet boy, and is loved by all of us at the Rescue. It is so great to have the support of Roam and the community when something like this happens. Frankie is a tired little boy and is resting after his big adventure today!!
Thanks to Terry and co. for working with Good Samaritan (Dan) to help capture and return Smokey, our very sly and speedy sled-dog. Even more importantly, thank you for understanding our plight and helping to educate and encourage us rather than chastising us or suggesting that we give up on our dog. We adopted Smokey knowing that she has serious issues to work through, but we did so because she is an excellent physical and emotional companion for our son, who has also had a very difficult time making it through elementary and middle-school with his self-esteem intact. In giving Smokey what she needs, we are also providing our son with the motivation and example he desperately needs to take good care of both his dog and himself.
Words cannot express how grateful I am, you guys are absolutely amazing! Thank you thank you thank you! Saban is safe and sound and I couldn’t be more relieved.
ROAM was our rock during the 98-day stretch our dog Olive was out on her own. The amount of effort the volunteers put in to her homecoming was absolutely amazing! They helped canvas neighborhoods, drove around at all hours, postered endlessly, organized a search party, set up feed stations equipped with cameras and delicious meats, watched live traps that had been customized with her fear of metal in mind, and constantly offered us their support and encouragement. Terry even flew to Arizona to pick up the remote-operated drop net used to capture her! At that time, Olive was regularly going to a feed station situated along a busy roadway. We were all concerned that her luck might run out with so much nearby traffic and the potential time lost with shipping was what prompted Terry’s flight. It really is impossible to put in to words everything ROAM did for us. Olive did not make capture an easy task! She moved neighborhoods frequently (View Royal, Colwood, Sidney, & Brentwood Bay), ran from any approach, and refused to go in to any trap as she had been trapped in the past. No matter how hopeless things felt at times, giving up was not an option considered by us or ROAM. We are so thankful that such a dedicated and positive group of people exists and were able to resolve this difficult case. It is an absolute pleasure to have our wild “little monkey” home again. Thank you Terry, Barb, Lesli, Rachel, Cyndi, Linda, Barry, Darlene…and all of the rest of the ROAM volunteers! You guys are the best.
There is no way for us at Loved At Last Dog Rescue to adequately thank ROAM and Terry and Barb and their amazingly dedicated volunteers for their tireless efforts and commitment to catching Stella. This fearful girl had been rescued from a life as a stray in the streets of Iran only to escape from her foster home. We despaired that Stella could ever be caught. But then we didn’t know about ROAM’s experience, skill and most importantly their refusal to quit until the dog is caught. Even though FLED had been asked first to search for Stella it was ROAM who kept in constant contact with us with updates about sightings of Stella. We quickly realized that Stella’s best chance of being caught lay with ROAM. I doubt Terry and Barb slept more than a four hours a night since Stella’s escape. It became readily apparent to me that it wasn’t a matter of if ROAM caught Stella but when. And despite our repeated offers to make a donation Terry and Barb preferred that the money be used to help rescue other homeless dogs like Stella. And if all this wasn’t enough, Terry and Barb have also offered to help us find an adoptive home for Stella in the Victoria area. Amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you ROAM. You are the best!
I am so thankful for this organization :). I called them after Lacie was missing on our walk for 20 minutes, I called, whistled and retraced my steps but she was no where to be seen. Thank you to the lovely couple who found her and called ROAM.
Thank you so much ROAM for helping me find my boy. Within no time the ad was up and you were giving me advice and support. I can not thank you enough for the efforts you put in and getting out there in the middle of the night to search! You are wonderful people and you’re doing an amazing job. Thank you from me and Kiedis! Time for a long nap 🙂
When our cat Harry disappeared, we were referred to ROAM.BC (amongst others) by our vet and found their quick response & organization incredible; from offering a ready-to-print poster and tips on how to help logically coax your animal home (when emotions flood in) and separate personal support emails, we felt the fortification of much encouragement! We had no idea there was such a service! Thankfully he arrived home on his own and ROAMBC’s closure was one of kind elation! A huge huge thank you for your readiness and help! – Faye