Who we are
Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing Ltd. (ROAM) is a Not-for Profit Registered Canadian Charity (registered charity number #778847699RR001) established to assist owners in finding their lost or missing pets. ROAM is run entirely by volunteers with 100% of monetary donations going to the animals. ROAM will operate without any financial gain for its members. The main purpose is to Promote the Welfare of Animals which is beneficial to the community in a way the law regards as charitable. This organization provides the following services in support of that mandate:
- To rescue/assist in finding stray, abandoned, abused, or surrendered animals by:
- Providing contact numbers to reports of stray or injured animals
- Searching for, capturing or reporting lost, stray, abandoned, abused or surrendered animals
- Working with other organizations for the welfare of any animals requiring assistance (such as animal rescue, SPCA, CRD, Victoria Animal Control, etc.)
- Working with other search organizations in the best interest of helping to reunite animals with their owners.
- Provides a forum that allows owners to communicate their pet(s) are missing
- Provides a forum that allows finders to communicate when an animal is found or captured
- Provides a forum that allows a spotter to communicate that an animal is loose and/or roaming
- Providing financial assistance and support when and where appropriate (on a case by case basis) in the event an animal requires urgent veterinary care and the owner is financially unable to come up with the required funds
- Promote education and awareness to pet owners on specific topics but not limited to:
- Benefits of spaying or neutering domestic pets to best ensure that they won’t wander
- Registration and identification of domestic pets
- Prevention of lost, missing or roaming animals through the proper and secure handling
- Extra precautionary measures in handling newly fostered or adopted dogs and cats
Funding and Donation Sources
ROAM receives its funding from a variety of sources which includes but not limited to:
- Donations from the general public
- Donations of gifts in kind
- Funds through different activities such as bottle drives, car washes and other initiatives
Any profits or other assets of ROAM will be used entirely to meet its objectives.
Code of Conduct
ROAM expects the Board of Directors, Management Team as well as the many volunteers to act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Confidentiality – We are committed to maintaining the highest degree of integrity in all our dealings with our clients and partners, keeping client information confidential when appropriate.
- Ethics – We conduct and provide services honestly and expect our clients and partners to do the same.
- Legal / Duty of Care – Our actions and advice will always operate and conform to the law.
- Professional conduct – We conduct all of our activities professionally and with integrity.
We take great care to be completely objective in our judgement and any recommendations we give are never influenced by anything other than the best interests of the animal.
- Equality and Discrimination – We strive to be fair and objective in our advice and actions, and we are never influenced in our decisions and actions by issues of gender, race, creed, colour, age or personal disability.
When our little Sunny went missing we were advised to immediately contact ROAMBC through their website. They replied immediately and gave us critical steps to follow to get information out into our new neighbourhood. Within 30 minutes they were on site supporting our search. Over the next five hours 15 ROAM volunteers combed the area and provided emotional support to keep us positive. Terry and Barb have a thorough understanding of canine behaviour and educated us while keeping us calm. As they had predicted, Sunny found her way home as it became dark. The volunteers kept in constant contact and were following her. Words cannot express the gratitude we feel to the amazing ROAMBC team. You have provided us with your time and support at critical hours. Your kindness will never be forgotten and you are an inspiration of what volunteerism is all about. Thank you, thank you!!
You guys may have only helped me for a day, but you gave me the strength and positivity to help me find my beautiful baby girl! I can’t thank you enough for everything you did, especially being so far away! You guys do an incredible thing, thanks again!!!
What amazing people/service 🙂 Alan is my brothers dog- i had let him out this afternoon 2pm with out his collar:(- he slipped into the park and was gone- i was searching for hours for him before my brother got home – he arrived home and i broke him the news- its the worst feeling-we had paused our searched efforts in hopes he would find his way back- he was too lost -we made some calls and got in touch with roam- these people were on the scene within an hour -they were everywhere searching for hours- they kept in contact with me the whole time- and were relentless with there search – they had Alan back by 7pm before dark- what an amazing feeling- i owe roam bigtime – if you ever lose your pet – you need these people on your side- unreal service- thank you soo much!!!!!!
Of course all of you dog lovers will never forget the feeling of having your first dog. Well this is my first baby. we couldnt be anymore greatful for the Roam and Raincoast Foundation. She had 2 batches of pups 17 all together. It was the most stressful time for her and myself. But she is happy, running around playing and enjoying the freedom she now has. HISKWE HALE! (Thank you everyone) from the James family and Saiya
On behalf of Queenie, all the local volunteers and the Puerto Vallarta SPCA (PVCA) we want to express our sincere gratitude for Terry of ROAM for his assistance. As you know Queenie arrived in Canada and was lost very shortly afterward, in the North Vancouver winter. She didn’t know where she was, and wasn’t used to the winter. As a rescue from Mexico, we relied on a group of random volunteers that came together, as well as a PVCA rescuer that flew up from Mexico. Within a very short time, you dropped everything to come to Vancouver despite the distance, with your equipment, your guidance, and your dedication. And even after leaving you were with us supporting remotely. Your contribution and your dedication to this dog and this group of strangers gives me great faith in humanity. We are grateful beyond words.
I just want to say thank you so much to the Lesli, Roam team, the couple who found him and everyone who helped. Frankie is such a sweet boy, and is loved by all of us at the Rescue. It is so great to have the support of Roam and the community when something like this happens. Frankie is a tired little boy and is resting after his big adventure today!!
Dear ROAM, How can we possibly express our gratitude to the ROAM team?? Our cat Blue went missing 1.5 years ago and you are the reason he is back home with our family today. We rescued blue when he was a kitten through Dee’s Orphan Kitten Fund. He was found in a dumpster downtown with a broken tail. He instantly became a part of our family and a best friend to our daughter (age 2.5 at the time). He was the sweetest, most beautiful cat we had ever seen. We had 3 years with Blue until Boxing Day of 2018 when he went outside and didn’t return. With your help we posted missing posters everywhere and searched for months on end. I remember one member of your team encouraging me not to give up hope, that her cat had gone missing for 10 months and was found safe and healthy. We kept up hope for about a year before we started to realize he wasn’t coming back. That didn’t stop our daughter Hayden. She continued to talk about Blue regularly. Almost every picture she’d draw and every story she’d write in her school journal was about Blue. Two days ago when you texted me that picture of him I literally could not believe my eyes. A year and a half later???! The staff at the Point Ellis House where Blue had been spotted were so accommodating and helpful. The fact that you had him trapped within 24 hours is unbelievable!!! You were all so excited…. it’s extremely obvious how dedicated you all are to your cause. Blue is back home today and it’s like he never left. You warned me he could be frightened for a while which is what I also expected but the second I called his name he came right into my arms. Hayden has her best friend back thanks to you and we look forward to having many more years with him! I don’t think I could ever EVER express how grateful we are for what you have done for us. We will never forget this!!! Thank you! ❤️❤️❤️ Leanne, Nick & Hayden
ROAM – Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing is an absolute dream! I cannot thank everyone enough for the help provided – from the organizers to the volunteers to the Facebook friends. I didn’t know where to start, and you pointed me in the right direction, with the support and care that I so badly needed. I was overwhelmed with the help I received – I don’t ask for help easily and to have so many willing, caring strangers step up was more than I could’ve imagined. Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing my love home! I’ve been telling everyone about ROAM and am so thankful to have learned about this amazing group of people.
Ricky has been FOUND!! Thank you so much to Barb, Terry, and everyone else who helped us last night and this morning! We can’t thank you enough! We’re so grateful that Ricky is home safe and sound. We will be ROAM volunteers from here on out. Thanks again!
We would like to thank you and your organization for the amazing work in reuniting lost cats and dogs. In spite of losing almost 4 lbs, 1/2 of her body weight, Munchkin is fine, no cuts or scratches she is home safe and sound. Pat and John August 19, 2020