Who we are
Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing Ltd. (ROAM) is a Not-for Profit organization established to assist owners in finding their lost or missing pets. An application to become a Registered Charity is in progress. ROAM is run entirely by volunteers with 100% of monetary donations going to the animals. ROAM will operate without any financial gain for its members. The main purpose is to Promote the Welfare of Animals which is beneficial to the community in a way the law regards as charitable. This organization provides the following services in support of that mandate:
- To rescue/assist in finding stray, abandoned, abused, or surrendered animals by:
- Providing contact numbers to reports of stray or injured animals
- Searching for, capturing or reporting lost, stray, abandoned, abused or surrendered animals
- Working with other organizations for the welfare of any animals requiring assistance (such as animal rescue, SPCA, CRD, Victoria Animal Control, etc.)
- Working with other search organizations in the best interest of helping to reunite animals with their owners.
- Provides a forum that allows owners to communicate their pet(s) are missing
- Provides a forum that allows finders to communicate when an animal is found or captured
- Provides a forum that allows a spotter to communicate that an animal is loose and/or roaming
- Providing financial assistance and support when and where appropriate (on a case by case basis) in the event an animal requires urgent veterinary care and the owner is financially unable to come up with the required funds
- Promote education and awareness to pet owners on specific topics but not limited to:
- Benefits of spaying or neutering domestic pets to best ensure that they won’t wander
- Registration and identification of domestic pets
- Prevention of lost, missing or roaming animals through the proper and secure handling
- Extra precautionary measures in handling newly fostered or adopted dogs and cats
Funding and Donation Sources
ROAM receives its funding from a variety of sources which includes but not limited to:
- Donations from the general public
- Donations of gifts in kind
- Funds through different activities such as bottle drives, car washes and other initiatives
Any profits or other assets of ROAM will be used entirely to meet its objectives.
Code of Conduct
ROAM expects the Board of Directors, Management Team as well as the many volunteers to act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Confidentiality – We are committed to maintaining the highest degree of integrity in all our dealings with our clients and partners, keeping client information confidential when appropriate.
- Ethics – We conduct and provide services honestly and expect our clients and partners to do the same.
- Legal / Duty of Care – Our actions and advice will always operate and conform to the law.
- Professional conduct – We conduct all of our activities professionally and with integrity.
We take great care to be completely objective in our judgement and any recommendations we give are never influenced by anything other than the best interests of the animal.
- Equality and Discrimination – We strive to be fair and objective in our advice and actions, and we are never influenced in our decisions and actions by issues of gender, race, creed, colour, age or personal disability.
Our heartfelt thanks to your amazing team! We just can not express the true feelings of support and positivity you provided while being so organized, and amazingly effective! And thanks to Joe at Fort Victoria for keeping him safe overnight. We are forever greatful you were there for us and Cooper.
Words can’t even describe how grateful I am to have had the help from ROAM in finding our beloved family dog. Terry and Barb gave us the tools and emotional support that was much needed in the non stop search. They checked in with us constantly, had the patience to answer and re-answer our many questions and inspired us to make the right choices ( all the time respecting my decisions) which in the end led us to a happy and very relieving reunion! Thank you so much guys!! 🙂
ROAM – Reuniting Owners with Animals Missing is an absolute dream! I cannot thank everyone enough for the help provided – from the organizers to the volunteers to the Facebook friends. I didn’t know where to start, and you pointed me in the right direction, with the support and care that I so badly needed. I was overwhelmed with the help I received – I don’t ask for help easily and to have so many willing, caring strangers step up was more than I could’ve imagined. Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing my love home! I’ve been telling everyone about ROAM and am so thankful to have learned about this amazing group of people.
My family cannot possibly thank all of you enough!!!! ROAM admin & volunteers were so truly amazing through this whole experience. Working so closely with Victoria Animal Control Services who were also absolutely wonderful! Passing out posters, Tigo ‘chits’, driving, walking, sharing on social media and with people in the neighborhood. Working with our family and friends who were stressed and scared and had no idea what to do. You all were so calm, reassuring, present, knowledgeable, and patient with us. We are truly overwhelmed by how our community came together for us, perfect strangers, on Christmas (!!), to find our lost puppy. Tigo made his way home because of all of your hard work over a solid 24hr period. With all of our hearts we thank you!!!!
You guys may have only helped me for a day, but you gave me the strength and positivity to help me find my beautiful baby girl! I can’t thank you enough for everything you did, especially being so far away! You guys do an incredible thing, thanks again!!!
There is no way for us at Loved At Last Dog Rescue to adequately thank ROAM and Terry and Barb and their amazingly dedicated volunteers for their tireless efforts and commitment to catching Stella. This fearful girl had been rescued from a life as a stray in the streets of Iran only to escape from her foster home. We despaired that Stella could ever be caught. But then we didn’t know about ROAM’s experience, skill and most importantly their refusal to quit until the dog is caught. Even though FLED had been asked first to search for Stella it was ROAM who kept in constant contact with us with updates about sightings of Stella. We quickly realized that Stella’s best chance of being caught lay with ROAM. I doubt Terry and Barb slept more than a four hours a night since Stella’s escape. It became readily apparent to me that it wasn’t a matter of if ROAM caught Stella but when. And despite our repeated offers to make a donation Terry and Barb preferred that the money be used to help rescue other homeless dogs like Stella. And if all this wasn’t enough, Terry and Barb have also offered to help us find an adoptive home for Stella in the Victoria area. Amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you ROAM. You are the best!
This is a very sincere thank you to ROAM for the excellent and immediate response I received when I contacted Lesli to report that my cat Mugsy was missing. After my week of fruitless searching, Lesli, through her contacts, already had a picture of Mugsy on the ROAM web site and I was able to focus my search where he was last sighted. Getting him back that night was wonderful. Thanks again to ROAM and everyone who contributed to his return with their words of encouragement.
There is no better feeling to have your dogs returned no worse than wear after fearing the worse. ROAM just happened along at the exact time the dogs needed protection from heavy traffic. You were the angels I prayed for…talk about the stars lining up! Thank you, thank you, thank you. There are no words to express my happiness to have my fur babies safely home and curled up in my lap sleeping off their adventure. We are closely inspecting our fencing to find the breech and have contracted a company to cross fence our back yard to keep our “Adventuress and Houdini” out of our natural area and away from bunny trails…their world will be downsized so hopefully, we’ll not go through this again. Barb and Terry you have hearts of gold and are doing such important work. May your lives be blessed for all you do…
When our little Sunny went missing we were advised to immediately contact ROAMBC through their website. They replied immediately and gave us critical steps to follow to get information out into our new neighbourhood. Within 30 minutes they were on site supporting our search. Over the next five hours 15 ROAM volunteers combed the area and provided emotional support to keep us positive. Terry and Barb have a thorough understanding of canine behaviour and educated us while keeping us calm. As they had predicted, Sunny found her way home as it became dark. The volunteers kept in constant contact and were following her. Words cannot express the gratitude we feel to the amazing ROAMBC team. You have provided us with your time and support at critical hours. Your kindness will never be forgotten and you are an inspiration of what volunteerism is all about. Thank you, thank you!!
Of course all of you dog lovers will never forget the feeling of having your first dog. Well this is my first baby. we couldnt be anymore greatful for the Roam and Raincoast Foundation. She had 2 batches of pups 17 all together. It was the most stressful time for her and myself. But she is happy, running around playing and enjoying the freedom she now has. HISKWE HALE! (Thank you everyone) from the James family and Saiya